- Manufacturer: Bendix
- Part Number: 284358X
- Condition: Remanufactured
- Bendix reman valves have the same warranty as new valves
- Pressure Range: Adjustable from 105-125 psi
- High temperature o-rings and waterproof cover
- Includes gasket and pipe plugs
The Bendix D-2 governor Air Brake Controls Valve the pressure in the air system. The compressor runs continuously while the engine is running, so the D-2 governor activates the compressor’s unloader mechanism when system pressure reaches the governor’s cut-out pressure. It deactivates the unloaders once system pressure has dropped to the governor’s cut-in pressure. While unloaded, the compressor simply pumps air from one cylinder to the other rather than send it to the tank.
Cross References: 284358N, 284358, 284358X, 102178, 102178X, 108818, 227435, 275491, 275491X, 275707, 275707X, 18537, KN18500X, KN18530, KN18537, VHD18537
A cross reference listing means that this valve is a suitable replacement for the part numbers listed. Some changes in air line plumbing may be required.
D-2 Air Governor
Never condemn or adjust the governor pressure settings unless you have checked pressure with an accurate test gauge or a dash gauge that is registering accurately. Standard dash gauges are only required to be accurate to within +/- 10 percent.
Remember the following if adjustment is necessary:
- Turn the adjusting screw counter-clockwise to lower the air pressure setting.
- Turn the addjusting screw clockwise to increase the air pressure setting.
- Be careful not to overadjust. Each quarter turn of the adjusting screw raises or lowers the pressure setting approximately 4 psi.
- The cut-in and cut-out range is not adjustable.
The most common cause of governor failure is contamination. Blow out all attaching lines, hoses, etc when replacing a governor. Make sure the reservoir pressure sensing line is routed from the reservoir so that no contamination may enter the line and pass into the governor. A replacement D-2 air governor can be found here.